Our trusty old helper in the kitchen, the dishwasher is working hard to clean the baked-on casseroles and milk-crusted mugs. How can you make your dishwasher run its best? Simply follow these dishwasher efficiency tips from your reliable appliance repair services company. We will come in and do the job, we won’t make a mess and we definitely won’t break anything by mistake. Your sentimental eternal urn, tiles on the floor, or anything. We pay attention to our surroundings.
When was the last time you have given your dishwasher a thorough maintenance check? Maybe it’s time you should. Here are some dishwasher maintenance tips that can help you keep its efficiency. Some of these tips may be familiar to you, but we also added a few new tips that can be useful.
Signs That Your Dishwasher Needs Help
If you ask an expert appliance repair technician about when is the best time to do dishwasher maintenance, he will tell you any time. So, how can you tell when your dishwasher needs help? Here are a few clues:
- A decrease in its effectiveness. If your plates and mugs are not 100% clean after a cycle or there are detergent residues left, it means the unit needs cleaning and some TLC.
- Unpleasant odours. Another sign that your dishwasher needs cleaning is when it smells of mustiness and food odour.
- Wear and tear. Your dishwasher is working hard for you, and when you see visible rust and damage on your dish racks, utensil basket or when the gasket of its door is not working properly, it’s time to call an appliance repair technician for maintenance.
- Drain problems. If you find water pooling inside the unit, that means you have a drain problem in your hands. It can be a plumbing issue. Better call an expert to check it thoroughly.
- Leaks. For leaks, the main culprit could be a damaged gasket. You need to call a professional for dishwasher repair and maintenance.
A dishwasher can usually last up to 12 years if properly maintained. To get the maximum efficiency out of your unit, we recommend you follow these maintenance tips.
Essential Dishwasher Maintenance Tips
Perform these steps every few months, and you will have the flawless dishes you are after.
1. Quarterly Deep Cleaning
Like your other household appliances, you need to perform a deep cleaning to your dishwasher one every quarter. Do this by placing a cup of white vinegar on the top rack of your machine and setting it in a hot water cycle. The lowly vinegar can effectively clean the greasy residue and the nasty smells.
2. Cover the Chips with Paint
Your dishwashing rack can show signs of wear and tear over time. The cracks and chips are not pleasant to look at and can harbour bacteria and cause rust. You can purchase a special rack paint online or from your local home improvement store to cover these worn-out areas.
3. Check the Door Gasket
If you find water leaking from the bottom and sides of your dishwasher door, it could be a sign that the gasket has tears on it. As your dishwasher ages, its rubber seal or door gasket can weaken and allow water to leak. The best way to keep this from happening is to check the gasket frequently and replace it when necessary. This is an important maintenance tip that could prevent premature replacement of your machine.
4. Scrape the Dishes Before Loading it in the Dishwasher
It is easy to dump all your super-dirty dishes in your dishwasher but scraping the food particles first can help you prolong its life. Excess grease and solid food in the machine can clog the dishwasher’s spray arm, drain, and its other parts. The food pieces can also circulate and stick to your clean dishes. Therefore, make it a habit to scrape off the food from your dishes to prevent overworking the machine.
5. Use the Power of Lemons
Do not underestimate the power of lemons as it can freshen your dishwasher. Try running an empty dishwasher with powdered lemon instead of using detergent. The lemon has acid that can remove the dirt buildup and can leave a fresh and clean scent inside.
The best maintenance that you can give your dishwasher is to schedule regular maintenance with your reliable appliance service centre. They can solve a wide range of dishwasher problems and perform dishwasher maintenance.